Friday, December 9, 2011

revisiting old projects

I opened up my guitar the other day since the electronics had stopped working. This is what I saw:

Photobucket

That circled white wire was supposed to be soldered to the other circled piece, thus actually sending an audio signal through the output jack. My first thought was, "How in the world did that happen?". My second thought was, "Well that explains everything." I wish I could blame someone else's bad soldering skills, but it was actually I who wired this all together in the first place.

It's always interesting opening the covers on a project you did years and years ago. It looks so familiar and yet so foreign at the same time. It's the general feeling that feels the most familiar: the smell of routed-out Alder wood preserved under the pickguard, the excessive quantities of electrical tape everywhere, the general layout of the electronics, all this seemed so familiar to me, as if it was only yesterday that I was putting this thing together for the first time. But when I got down to the nitty gritty details, some of the details I couldn't remember at all. For example, why did I solder a spring onto the back of that control pot? I have no idea! I can't imagine what that would do to help, but it must have completely made sense to me at the time why that needed be done.

This is usually the same way it feels to go back and read code that I wrote years and years ago. It feels so familiar, but I just can't phathom what could possibly have been going on in my head at the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment