Friday, November 18, 2011

take 1

I'll add a description later, but I'm at the airport and have  flight to catch!
Take 1 by danieldeklotz

[edit 11/21/2011] If you have heard much of the recordings that I have done in the past, you may notice a few common elements, including repetition and a certain lack of polish. I've found recently that if I'm just doing a music project for fun, I often like to get the background instruments to a certain point of polish, set the song on loop, and then just improvise the lead for pretty much as long as I like. After a while, I'll record an improvised lead part for a couple of loops and call it a song. That's basically what I did here. You'll notice that the song is a simple progression that is looped over and over, possibly with different background instruments (piano, bass, etc.), and the melody is just improvised as I go along. I only did one take for the guitar track, so that's why it sounds really rough and unpolished. If I wanted to, I could spend some time and go back to re-record the rough parts and splice the different takes together until I got something more or less polished, but that's not something I really enjoy doing. If I'm just making something for fun, I'd rather spend more time just exploring the more musical parts of composition.

Also, there's a certain amount of adventure to 1-take improv enterprises. Once you start taking multiple takes to make it all good, the composition really starts being all about improvisation, and starts being more about production. That can be fun as well, but there's something really adventurous about just doing the take and seeing where things end up. It might not end up  perfect, but that's almost a good thing in music sometimes!

No comments:

Post a Comment