Monday, January 2, 2012

New Years and God's Grace

I know it’s late, and I have an 8:00 am flight tomorrow morning, but I had a fun New Year’s thought that I wanted to share. I love New Years. There’s something great about fresh starts, new beginnings, clean slates. Thinking about all the possibilities for the new year, I find myself reflecting on some of the really great things I’ve heard said during this holiday Season, particularly things that have to do with God’s grace. I’d like to share two:

This morning, at church, my Pastor made this analogy about God’s grace being like shaking an etch-a-sketch. Over time, we write lots of stuff on our etch-a-sketch. But God comes and shakes your etch-a-sketch, so you can start over with a fresh slate.

A lot of people have trouble with the concept of God’s Grace. They argue that if God forgives all your sins, why bother changing? Why bother trying to living a good life if you know God will just forgive you for everything you did wrong anyway? But if you go down that road, you really miss the whole purpose of Grace. Grace isn’t just washing your past away. It also provides the opportunity for new, better beginnings, and God is constantly inviting us to start over with Him.

Regardless of whether you think a New Year really provides a clean slate, we can always find peace in God’s eternal grace, which always provides us an opportunity for real, meaningful change.

No comments:

Post a Comment